Sunday, November 24, 2013

Catholic Guilt

‘Those who trust in Him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with Him in LOVE because grace and mercy are with His holy ones and His care is with His elect.’ – Wisdom 3:9

Why do I feel guilty about sleeping in and missing mass after making a promise to myself I would go as often as possible?

Ø   Because I know that going to mass would have brought me closer to God, creating a more joyful, peaceful, and thankful day.

What most people assume 'Catholic guilt' is, is a feeling of God being mad at me and trying to make me feel bad. This feeling is actually from growing closer to God and Him revealing to my heart the knowledge of the better choice. He has shown me the beauty of the grace and love and mercy that I receive during mass and He tries to allow me this opportunity every day; all I have to do is say ‘yes’.

What is in my heart isn't guilt, it is inner grace that God has given me to lead me down the path that He knows is perfect for me, even if I can’t always see it myself.  During this life, I have fallen into sin and my mind has been tainted by the world.  I have been taught certain things will bring me pleasure and to follow those worldly pleasures.  But I am like a rat in a maze, I do not always know the best way to take; sometimes I want to follow the trail of poisonous cheese someone left. Alone I would fail, but I am not alone; God can see the best way out, He knows that best way to get me to the end goal safely. 

We need to be thankful God has given us a conscious because it allows us to find the everlasting joy that we long for in the depths of our hearts. It may be hard to always make the right choice because the rest of the world says it’s wrong, but sooner or later we will understand the good that comes from right decision.

 God isn't upset with you when you make the wrong choice, He just patiently longs for you to know Him and waits for you to direct your path back to Him so he can forgive your sins and bring you back on the road towards His everlasting love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment